Tuesday, October 29, 2013
Test your vocabulary...9 useful words from previous postings
I think this blog is one of the best resources on the internet for foreign students who want to improve their reading and vocabulary. Here are 9 useful words I took from the last 3 or 4 postings.
If you don't know what each word means, please review the words in the last few postings. :) Going through current and past postings on this blog will help your vocabulary to soar (increase rapidly). Every few days there are new and interesting postings and more useful words.
hereditary, to be offended by something, to be slain, deliberately, to collaborate with, abundant, to plummet, to emit something, to accommodate someone,
1. The difference between murder and manslaughter depends on whether a person was killed _______________ or accidentally. If it was an accident but the death was caused through carelessness, a person can be charged with manslaughter.
2. The two political parties in the USA rarely ________________ each other. This is why the US government recently had to shut down for several days.
3. There are two types of the disease called diabetes. Type one diabetes is _____________ while type two is acquired through bad eating habits and other factors a person can control.
4. A supervisor has to make it clear to an employee that he/she should not be ________________ by any type of job evaluation. An evaluation is meant to help an employee assess how he/she has been doing and to also allow the employee to provide some feedback on what he/she might need in the future.
5. Everyone read some terrible news over the weekend in New York City. A mother and her four children were ________________ by a mentally ill relative in Brooklyn. He killed the entire family.
6. The air in Los Angeles is polluted because of all the carbon monoxide gas that is ____________ by all the cars in that city every day.
7. The waiter was very kind. Even though we were a large group and we had very specific and hard to meet requests, he was able to ___________________ us and give us the types of meals we wanted.
8. The stock market can often be quite unstable. If investors are confident in the government, stock prices can soar. If investors lose confidence at any time, stock prices can _________________.
9. Many people think there is hunger throughout the world because we lack food. No. Food is actually __________________. But, even though there is more than enough food, political and economic systems are not efficient enough to distribute the food adequately.
Answers are below:
2. collaborate with