to deride s/o - to make fun of someone, to mock someone, to ridicule someone
fastidious - to be very detail oriented
to impede - to stop someone's progress
a recluse - a hermit, someone who lives alone, someone who seeks solitude
a virtuoso - someone who has an amazing skill at something (like a musical instrument)
1) Paganini is considered to have been one of the greatest violin _______________ in history. He was so great that some people rumored that he had sold his soul to the devil to gain his super-human skills.
Someone playing one of Paganini's more famous pieces:
2) Bob is the most ______________ dresser I have ever met. His clothing has to look perfect before he goes out. His shoes must be polished and there can't be one wrinkle in his suit.
3) Mitt Romney was often _______________ during the last presidential campaign because he was so rich and did not seem to understand how poorer people lived. Someone even made a video called: Romney Style (based on Gangnam Style).
Be careful there are 'dirty' or 'curse' words in this video:
4) Even if a customer is wrong, it is sometimes better to ______________ him/her than to argue with him/her.
5) Republican politicians and businessmen in New York City are worried that the new mayor's plan to increase taxes might _______________ economic development.
6) One of America's most famous ____________ was Howard Hughes. After becoming a successful airplane engineer and Hollywood producer, he seemed to disappear into a Las Vegas hotel room for the last several years of his life.
answers are below:
1) virtuosi or virtuosos