Welcome to an excellent, FREE resource to improve your English! I'm Daniel Gauss - MA Teachers College at Columbia University - at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you add me at https://www.facebook.com/dgauss3 you'll get updates to this blog. (Google + works too.)
Sunday, September 15, 2013
12 higher-level words - test yourself!
to intervene – to get involved in a situation in order to
to exacerbate – to make something worse
to impeach – to remove a president who had committed a
crime; or, to cast doubt on a statement
to absolve – to provide forgiveness for some wrong
action, to make someone pure again
to feel antipathy for s/t – not to like something
primitive – very old, original, not modern
sanctioned – approved
analgesic – something that reduces pain
punitive – something done as a punishment
meticulous – very detailed
belligerent – warlike, aggressive
a harbinger – something that predicts something else
1. I felt that my back pain was probably not due to anything
serious, so I just went to the pharmacy and bought an over-the-counter
2. Some people believe that the USA should act as the world’s
‘policeman’ and it should ___________ in any situation around the world where
there is trouble.
3. I saw some of the old space capsules from the 1960s at a
museum.I looked into the capsule and
saw the wiring/circuits.I was shocked
by how ____________ it all looked compared to today’s technology.
4. When Richard Nixon received a presidential pardon from
President Gerald Ford, Nixon was ___________ of all guilt that he might have
had due to the Watergate scandal.
5. When the dictator used a small amount of chemical weapons
to attack the rebels, the US was afraid this might be a ______________ of even
worse actions.Therefore they sought
6. The Republicans in Congress did not try to ___________
Bill Clinton because he had had an affair with one of his young interns.They claimed he had lied to Congress about
7. These days Sweden is not known as a __________ country.
Yet, in the past, Sweden had a huge military and fought with the great powers
8. I told Bob not to scratch his itch, but he did and he
only _____________ the problem.
9. Sometimes a bride’s family will feel some amount of
_________ for the groom (and vice versa).Yet, everyone has to learn to live together peacefully in a family.
10. Bob was one of the best auditors at his company.He was super ___________ and would spend as
much time as needed to go over all the details to make sure he was doing a good
11. The boxing match was just an exhibition because it had
not been ____________ by the appropriate boxing authority.
12. In a courtroom the judge or jury can award ____________
damages.This means that one party has
done something so wrong that he/she should be punished and the other person
should receive extra money. (In court, 'damages' refers to the amount of money a victim will receive to make the victim feel better about what had happened.)